How to Remove a Word From Word Dictionary Mac
The built-in dictionary on Mac is a handy tool that helps users with spell-checking and provides definitions for various words. However, there may be instances where you want to remove a word from the dictionary. Whether it’s to eliminate a misspelled word or a word that you no longer use, here’s a step-by-step guide on how to remove a word from the Word Dictionary on Mac.
1. Open the TextEdit application on your Mac.
2. Type the word you want to remove in a new document.
3. Right-click on the word and select “Learn Spelling” from the context menu.
4. Open the Finder on your Mac and navigate to the “Applications” folder.
5. Locate and open the “Utilities” folder within the Applications folder.
6. In the Utilities folder, find and open the “Terminal” application.
7. Once the Terminal window opens, type the command “cd /Library/Spelling/” and hit Enter.
8. Type the command “ls” and hit Enter to list the files in the Spelling folder.
9. Look for a file that ends with “.txt” and starts with the language you are using (e.g., “en” for English).
10. Type the command “open [filename].txt” (replace [filename] with the actual filename) and hit Enter.
11. The text file will open in TextEdit. Find the word you want to remove and delete it.
12. Save the changes and close the file.
13. Restart your Mac for the changes to take effect.
1. Will removing a word from the dictionary affect other applications on my Mac?
No, removing a word from the dictionary will only affect the spell-checking feature across various applications.
2. Can I remove multiple words at once?
Yes, you can remove multiple words by deleting them from the text file in Step 11.
3. Will the removed word come back after a software update?
No, removing a word from the dictionary is a permanent change and will not be reset after a software update.
4. Can I remove a word if I only want to exclude it from spell-checking?
Yes, by removing the word from the dictionary, it will no longer be recognized as a valid word during spell-checking.
5. Is there a way to undo the removal of a word?
No, once a word is removed, there is no built-in way to undo the change. You would need to manually add it back to the dictionary.
6. Will removing a word affect autocorrect suggestions?
No, removing a word from the dictionary will not impact the autocorrect suggestions.
7. Can I remove a word from the dictionary on other devices synced with my Mac?
No, removing a word from the dictionary on your Mac will not affect other devices synced with it.