How to Make Outback Steakhouse Mac and Cheese
Outback Steakhouse is renowned for its mouthwatering steaks and delectable sides. One of their standout dishes is their creamy and rich mac and cheese. If you’re a fan of this cheesy delight, you’re in luck! In this article, we’ll guide you through the step-by-step process of recreating Outback Steakhouse’s mac and cheese in the comfort of your own kitchen. So, let’s get started!
– 8 ounces elbow macaroni
– 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
– 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
– 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
– 1/2 cup unsalted butter
– 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
– 3 cups whole milk
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
– 1/4 teaspoon paprika
1. Cook the macaroni according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, add the flour and whisk constantly for about 2 minutes until the mixture turns golden in color.
3. Gradually pour in the milk while whisking continuously. Continue whisking until the mixture thickens and comes to a simmer.
4. Reduce the heat to low and add the salt, black pepper, and paprika. Stir well to combine.
5. Slowly add the shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses to the sauce, reserving a small amount of each for topping the mac and cheese later. Stir until the cheese melts and the sauce becomes smooth and creamy.
6. Add the cooked macaroni to the sauce and mix until the pasta is fully coated.
7. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Transfer the mac and cheese mixture to a greased baking dish.
8. Sprinkle the reserved shredded cheeses and grated Parmesan over the top of the mac and cheese.
9. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until the cheese on top is golden and bubbly.
10. Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
1. Can I use different types of cheese in this recipe?
Absolutely! While the combination of cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese gives this mac and cheese its classic Outback Steakhouse flavor, you can experiment with other cheeses as well. Gruyere, Swiss, or even a touch of blue cheese can add a unique twist to the dish.
2. Can I make this mac and cheese ahead of time?
Yes, you can! Prepare the mac and cheese as instructed, but instead of baking it, cover the dish and refrigerate. When you’re ready to serve, allow it to come to room temperature and then bake it in a preheated oven until heated through.
3. Can I add any additional ingredients to this mac and cheese?
Certainly! If you’re looking to add some extra flavor, consider incorporating cooked bacon, sautéed onions, or even chopped jalapenos. Be sure to adjust the seasoning accordingly to balance the flavors.
4. Is it possible to make this mac and cheese gluten-free?
Yes, you can make a gluten-free version of this dish by substituting all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend. Additionally, use gluten-free macaroni noodles instead of regular ones.
Now that you have the secret recipe to recreate Outback Steakhouse’s famous mac and cheese, it’s time to put on your chef’s hat and get cooking. This creamy and cheesy delight will surely impress your family and friends. Enjoy your homemade Outback experience!