How to Make a Server Book: A Practical Guide for Restaurant Servers
Being a server in a busy restaurant can be a challenging task. One essential tool that can greatly aid in managing orders, notes, and payments is a server book. A server book is a compact, organized booklet that helps servers stay on top of their tasks and provide excellent customer service. In this article, we will guide you through the process of making your own server book.
– A small notebook or notepad
– Cardboard or heavy-duty paper
– Clear adhesive tape
– Pen or marker
– Optional: plastic page protectors
1. Choose a small notebook or notepad that fits comfortably in your hand and can easily fit in your apron pocket.
2. Cut a piece of cardboard or heavy-duty paper slightly larger than the notebook’s cover.
3. Adhere the cardboard to the notebook cover using clear adhesive tape, ensuring it is securely attached.
4. On the front cover, write “Server Book” using a pen or marker.
5. If desired, create sections within the notebook using plastic page protectors. This will allow you to easily organize and access important documents such as order pads, wine lists, or cheat sheets.
6. Use additional clear adhesive tape to reinforce the spine and corners of the notebook, making it more durable.
7. Customize your server book by adding personal touches such as stickers or decorations.
1. Why should I make my own server book?
Making your own server book allows you to tailor it to your specific needs, ensuring it has all the features and compartments you require.
2. Can I use a regular notebook as a server book?
Yes, you can repurpose a regular notebook by adding a sturdy cover and organizing it accordingly.
3. How many sections should I create in my server book?
The number of sections depends on your preferences and the type of documents you want to keep. However, it’s recommended to have at least separate sections for order pads, cash, and notes.
4. How can I keep my server book clean?
Consider using a clear plastic cover or laminating the cover to protect it from spills and stains. Additionally, wiping it down with a damp cloth regularly will help maintain its cleanliness.
5. Should I include a pen holder in my server book?
Including a pen holder is a great idea to ensure you always have a pen readily available. You can attach it to the side or inside cover of your server book.
6. Can I add additional pages to my server book?
Yes, you can easily add or remove pages from your server book by using a hole puncher and binder rings.
7. How often should I replace my server book?
Replace your server book whenever it becomes worn out or damaged beyond repair. It’s a good idea to have a backup server book on hand as well.
Creating your own server book allows you to stay organized and efficient while serving customers in a restaurant setting. By following these simple steps, you can make a practical and personalized server book that will streamline your workflow and enhance your customer service skills.