A Patron Attempts to Use a Valid ID That Is Not Theirs as Proof of Age. What Should the Server Do?
As a server or bartender, it is your responsibility to ensure that you are serving alcohol to individuals who are of legal drinking age. It is not uncommon for patrons to try to use fake or borrowed IDs to gain access to alcohol. In the event that a patron attempts to use a valid ID that is not their own as proof of age, here’s what you should do:
1. Stay calm and composed: It is crucial to remain professional and composed when faced with such situations. Avoid showing any signs of confrontation or frustration.
2. Verify the ID: Examine the ID carefully, paying attention to the photo, date of birth, and expiration date. Compare it to the person presenting it. Look for any signs of tampering or alterations.
3. Ask questions: Engage the patron in conversation and ask questions about the information on the ID. A genuine ID holder will likely know the details associated with their identification.
4. Consult a manager or supervisor: If you have any doubts about the authenticity of the ID, it is always best to consult with a manager or supervisor. They can provide guidance and help make a decision.
5. Refuse service if necessary: If you are certain that the ID is not genuine or does not belong to the person presenting it, politely refuse service. Explain the reason for your decision and offer alternative non-alcoholic options.
6. Document the incident: It is important to document the incident, noting down any relevant details such as the date, time, description of the person, and any other observations. This information may be useful in the future.
7. Follow establishment policies: Familiarize yourself with your establishment’s policies regarding fake IDs and follow them accordingly. This may include confiscating the ID or reporting the incident to the appropriate authorities.
1. Can I confiscate a fake ID?
Confiscating a fake ID is not recommended as it may lead to legal complications. Instead, refuse service and follow establishment policies.
2. Should I confront the patron about the fake ID?
Avoid confrontations as they may escalate the situation. Stay calm and handle the situation professionally.
3. What if the patron becomes aggressive or refuses to leave?
In such cases, prioritize your safety and that of other customers. Seek assistance from security or management.
4. Can I ask for a second form of identification?
While it is not mandatory, you can ask for additional identification if you have doubts about the authenticity of the presented ID.
5. Should I report the incident to the police?
If you suspect fraudulent activity or face repeated incidents, it may be appropriate to report the incident to the police. Consult with your supervisor or manager.
6. Can I deny service based on suspicion alone?
If you have reasonable doubt about the authenticity of the ID or the age of the patron, you have the right to deny service.
7. What if I mistakenly accept a fake ID?
Mistakes can happen. If you realize later that an ID was fake, report the incident to your supervisor or manager immediately. They can guide you on how to proceed.